Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Week 8: Bridge Process

This past week the group built a bridge that spans 3' and has a hollow tube of 3"x2" running through the center of the bridge to meet the criteria for the second KNEX bridge design.  Using what was learned from the truss analysis the group put together a bridge to use for the test.  The group did some practice tests on the design and made changes to better the bridge.  This next week final adjustments will be made to the bridge and it will be tested using the same set up as the 2' bridge.

Each week this term was a learning experience.  I have had some experiences with trusses and how they work through building buildings but this course certainly taught me many things about trusses and bridge designs.  I realized how important a efficient cost ratio is for engineering projects.  WPBD helped me to get started with this concept, but the hands on experience with the KNEX certainly showed how many ways a goal can be met and how different the cost ratios can be.  The truss analysis helped me to better understand how trusses displace a force.  This will be helpful for me moving forward, and I feel that it gives me an advantage over other students who have not had this opportunity yet.  Through the movies and background history provided in class I realize the importance of engineering and safety.  One little mistake can cost hundreds of people their lives.  It certainly makes me double check my work when I am creating designs and ideas.  After learning all this it makes me wonder how the bridges that are in existence now will hold up with the weathering and increased loads applied to them by traffic and things done in an effort to help preserve them.  There is a trade off in safety measures and added weight and cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment